Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fire protection pipe marking requirement 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

plastcc

Civil/Environmental
Sep 5, 2003
US
My safety department tells me I need to paint all of my sprinkler pipe red, whether it is in a warehouse or a residential building. The Safety people could not provide a reference for this. What is required to be marked? If using pipe labels, what is the frequency of marking? Please provide a reference.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NDOUKAS

Only just seen the post, hence the late reply.

WHat does it say in NFPA 13 (assuming you are in the US)or whatever national standard you are working to?

James

That's just it, NFPA 13 doesn't tell me anything.

I know in the UK there is a British Standard for this:
BS 1710:1984 "Specification for identification of pipelines and services"

From memory, this allows for banding of pipes, rather than full colouring.

If you are not based in the UK, there may be a similar standard (I'm surprised that NFPA doesn't give details or a reference for this – though I have just had a quick look and can’t find anything about the colour of pipework either)

James

Like James said, it depends where you are.
In Australia, Australiam Standard 1345:1995 (available on-line from would generally permit the choice of (a) paint red all over, (b) paint red bands located as for markers or (c) pipe markers (white letters on red background for fire services. However, if there are several fire service lines side by side, red all over or red bands would not be sufficient, markers would be required as well.
Markers shall be adjacent to all junctions, valves, service appliances, bulkheads, wall penetrations etc and at spacings not greater than every 8 metres along the line (except for long, clearly visible lines where spacing up to 50 metres is permitted)
On new lines, it's easy enough to paint them red all over, and this is commonly done, but it's a waste of money to repaint an existing line.

In the US, the NFPA does not set a requirement for the color of sprinkler water lines. It is a common practice to paint large feed lines red but once they are in the ceiling of your building you don't have to paint them a certain color. However, it is required that they be labled. Some organizations will color code pipes for easy identification. However, you can buy pipe lables that show the flow direction that can be attached to the pipes. Identification markings must be placed every 50 feet.

Thank you safetydan. It's hard to give proof that a code does not exist, but I'll feel better when I tell them that it doesn't exist, if they ever ask again. It's now a dead issue, and no, I did not have to paint my pipes red.

there is a color coding requirement for sprinklers it depends on the temperature range of the expected fire. You may want to contact Factory Mutual.

ndouk,

The following standard defines recommended colors for industrial piping systems:

ASME(ANSI) A13.1-1996 Standard

Bright red paint with white lettering is recommended ofr fire protection piping:

Several companies produce paint/lettering to meet this ASME requirement

Gimmie a star....

MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back