Fire Retarding Plywood Identification/Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyH76

Structural
Mar 14, 2006
US
Hello,

We are looking at a set of townhomes that is being re-roofed. As the roofer was removing the shingles they noticed the roof sheathing was very soft and aactually broke threw. The sheathing is supposed to be FRT plywood, but I can't seem to find anything on the grade stamp that confirms this. How can I tell if this is FRT plywood? Has anyone else dealt with the problems that were associated with FRT plywood made in the 80's and 90's? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I remember correctly - there were a lot FRT failures during that time due to break down of wood from the chemical exposed to high heat - say above 140F. Many lawsuits involved.

Check or org - can't remember which. I think they have some good articles on this.

Check the underside of the plywood. Might be there.

BTW - if it is FRT - then you might have to replace all of it.

Yeah MiketheEngineer is right. I was involved with a re-roof a while back - the FRT was falling apart. I could just grab a handfull of fibers. We replaced 30% or so and went over all with a new layer of plywood. Lots of info on the web. It seems like they have got it fixed but....

The piece just to the right in your first picture appears to be different than the other. Lighter in color, and looks like particleboard. Some of the sheathing may have been replaced already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back