Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fire sprinklers in aire handlers units

Status
Not open for further replies.

schowning

Industrial
Jan 30, 2013
I am working on a 5 story building with larger air handler units on the roof that you can walk into, do these need sprinklers in them

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The unit sits on the roof and is a prefabricated metal unit with a door, the unit is 20' x 10" and there are 4 of them on the roof, the unit has a wall made of filters that brings in the air and sends it the HVAC system

From NFPA 13 2013 ed, below is a new section...

Chapter 8 8.1* Basic Requirements.
Installation Requirements
8.1.1* The requirements for spacing, location, and position of
sprinklers shall be based on the following principles:

(8)*Sprinklers shall not be required to be installed within electrical equipment, mechanical equipment, or air handling units not intended for occupancy.

A.8.1.1(8) Equipment having access for routine maintenance should not be considered as intended for occupancy.

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!
Interested in “Hands On” Fire Protection Seminars with live fires visit for information.

Thank you for the response,

The building I am working on falls under 1996 NFPA # 13 since phase one and phase 2 were permitted in 1996, OSHPD has kept both building under that code evan though only phase 1 was built then and phase 2 is being built now

My question is, do you know what code would govern not installing sprinklers in the air handler unit for NFPA #13 1996. On phase 1 the air handler units are sprinkled but the inspection reports indicate that is was an as-built item because they store their filters inside the large 1 piece units

But now OSHPD seems to be holding me to do the same, not because code requires it, but because it was done on phase 1 and if I want to not do it or submit a change, it is on me to prove that they are not required

I know we all live in a code world, and the rules are the rules. But we should also be allowed to use common sense and challenge a code official if we disagree with their findings. One of the first things i learned at FM training for jr engineers right of college (many years ago for me when i was with that company) is when you should be asking for sprinklers. 1)Is the construction or equipment combustible? 2) Are the contents or stuff inside the equipment combustible? 3) How bad of a fire will result if it catches fire? In many cases fire protection is not rocket science. So I would say to the ahj: These units are non combustible. We dont store combustible filters in this particular unit. IE, there is no combustible loading present sufficient to sustain a fire, so we dont need sprinklers.

The building official may be receptive to "best practices" that have been applied to the building standards since the original permitting.
Current standards are usually the outcome of industry experiences that become the best rules.
Spdaddler50 is on the right track.

Looks like the wording LCREP posted above may have been first in the 07

are they designing the sprinkler system to the 96 nfpa 13 or a newer version??? hopefully a newer version

from 96:::

Chapter 4 Installation Requirements
4-1" Basic Requirements.
4-1.1" The requirements for spacing, location, and position
of sprinklers are based, on the follow!ng.principles:
(a) Sprinklers installed throughout the premises,
(b) Sprinklers located so as not to exceed maximum protection
area per sprinkler,
(c) Sprinklers positioned and located so as to provide satisfactory
performance, with respect to activotion time and
distribution.
Exception No. 1: For locations permitting omission of sprinklers,
see 4-13.1, 4-13.2, and 4-13.8. ~.
Exception No. 2: When sprinklers are specifically tested and test
results demonstrate that deviations from clearance requirements to
structural members do not impair the ability of the sprinkler to control
or suppress a fire, their positioning and locating in accordance
with the test results shall be permitted.
Exception No. 3: Clearance between sprinklers and ceilings exceeding
the maximum specified in 4-6.4.1, 4-7,.4.1, 4-8.4.1, 4-9.4.1,
4-10.4.1, and 4-11.4.1 shall be permitted provided that tests or calculations
demonstrate comparable, sensitivity and performance of the
sprinklers to those installed in conformance with these sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back