Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fire Suppression over a long pump row 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ711

Chemical
Apr 3, 2012
US
Can anyone point me in the right direction for a discussion on "Fire Suppression over a long pump row"?

I assume there are three possibilities --
1. Steam rings
2. Water
3. Foam water

At the moment, I am in a cold weather refinery with an old enclosed Pump House. We are removing the walls of the pump house, in order not to allow hydrocarbon vapors to accumulate.

Originally, the entire pump house was designed with a steam snuffing line, nozzles pointing down, that ran 8 feet over the pumps.

With the removal of the walls, steam may no longer work, in case of a pump fire, since steam would likely be dispersed quickly.

Any thoughts, comments, points-in-the-right-direction, on how to best design a fire suppression system for this set up ?

Thanks much

CJ711

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you, SeanB. I did just now review NFPA15, based on your recommendation.

Would you, or others, happen to know if water spray, as discussed in NFPA15, is the preferred/recommended risk management approach ?

Thanks,

CJ711

I have used a water spray system over a row of pumps. The system was actually already in place, but we brought it up to code. We tried to place nozzles such that the spray stayed away from the motors and was concentrated on the pump. Our concern was for a seal fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back