Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fire Testing of valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilotpalc

Electrical
Sep 21, 2002
FR
One of my client requirement is Fire Testing of Valves using API 6FA. Manufacturers are submitting offers indicating Fire testing with API 607. What is the difference between the two (API 6FA and API 607)?? Is it correct to accept API 607 rather than API 6FA??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nilotpalc,
as far as I remember, there is little difference between the fire test standards you mention: in both cases (and in all other similar standards) the main point is to simulate a 30 min fire as it may happen in the field, while the valve has to remain tight before, during and after the fire itself. The temperature and test set-up requirements are the same, there are only some slight differences in the test pressures...
So I'd suggest to look into the thing and read, if possible, the relevant test reports, in order to detect any possible discrepacy.

Hope this helps, 'NGL

I add the result of a quick search within this site, i.e. a list of threads you may find interesting to read, just for information about the issue in object:

- Thread408-83854 ;

- Thread408-50135 ;

- Thread408-80209 ;

- Thread378-11106 ;

- Thread292-70961 .

Bye, 'NGL

There is a significant difference in test pressures for Class 600 and below. For API 607, the test pressure is 30 psig and for 6FA, it is 75% of the CWP. The lower test pressure of 607 makes it more difficult for some ball valves to seal for through leakage, but easier for the stem packing and body seals.

Only comment I would make is have you checked that either fire tests is applicable to the fire hazard likely in the location where the valve is situated.

On offshore oil or gas installations and petrochemical plants most fire hazards are either hydrocarbon or jet fire.

These fires are much hotter (over 2000°F) and more erosive than the fires used to test to these API standards and the valves may require to have additional fire protection covers to work in a real fire situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back