Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fireproofing tube steel. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKizak

Structural
Apr 19, 2006
US
I have a condition were an exterior girder abuts a stairwell. As a result I have an lu of 15ft. I would like to use a HSS section to minimize the width and keep the section in the plane of the wall studs. However, the Architect does not know of any approved UL ratings for this assembly. This does not make sense to me because the fireproofing requirements are based upon the ration of weight to heated perimeter, and a tubes ratio will significantly greater then a WF hence better fire resistance. Has anyone had this issue? How was it addressed?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CIDECT ( has information on fire resistance of concrete filled columns... earliest work I'm aware of in this area were columns for a stairwell that were done about 30 years ago at the U of Winnipeg.

Other than that, I'm aware of intumescent coatings that I've used for mezzanine areas.

Dik

Great answers, however the problem is not with the column. It is with the girder. Apperently UL does not list an assembly for a tube section used as a beam. UL has several listings for tube sections but only when used as column or brace members, ie P>>M.

Thanks, WillisV: Article should include that a the cross-section for a flexural element is less highly stressed than for a column and that as temperature rises, not only does the yield strength diminish, but also the Young's modulus.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back