Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Firewater system on offshore platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoraeS

Petroleum
Mar 8, 2004
NL
I just get to know that firewater deluge system on offshore platform is used to cool the vessel from being rupture during a fire.

Then, how to put out the fire? I mean, deluge system is used to cool vessel and not extinguish fire, so on the platform, is there any tools or normally how to extinguish the fire???

Hope to receive your kind suggestions / comments.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no standard system, for example not all platforms are normally manned, which makes a difference. But typically there will be manual fire extinguishers located throughout the platform for extinguishing small fires. Then there can be hydrants with foam connections that can be used by the fire crew to extinguish liquid pool fires. At places where a liquid pool can be expected (e.g. below large separators), you can also provided an automatic foam system, that can extinguish the fire.

In case of a gas fire, fire will normally not be extinguished (since this could result in a more dangerous explosive atmosphere), but the gas inventory is blocked-in and depressurized to flare.

You can also have fixed gaseous extinction systems e.g. to extinguish fire inside enclosures or electrical rooms.

If you want to know more, I can advise you to read the book "Offshore fire safety" by Anthony T. Paterson (Tulsa : PennWell, 1993)

You may use deluge systems to extinguish fires in some equipment associated to vessels, like pumps, filters, etc.
Water curtains are also for fire protection, not essentially to extinguish a fire.
For design purposes of these systems, use NFPA 13, NFPA15, NFPA25.
A reading of these standards will give a good understanding to design systems for special purposes (not everything is standardized). I've learned a lot from there.
But you are asking for firefighting facilities.
I assume that your platform is equipped with a fire water distribution system, capable of supplying water to any point of the platform, and based at least, on a single fire contingency. And hydrants/monitors, are distributed in such a manner that they can be used in case of an emergency at any point of the platform. Also fire extinguishers, as Guidoo pointed out. Trailer or cart mounted fire extinguishers would be a good alternative for bigger incidents.
Some refineries have a “must have” criterion for the hydrants, e.g. "not more than 250 ft from any point where water will be required", and 50 ft for monitor nozzles, but I assume that standards or regulations for platforms should be stricter. For places where the access during a fire would be difficult, the use of remotely operable monitors is advisable. In a platform, I can imagine that you need them.
Have a safe day
J.Alvarez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back