Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

First job not so great 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

james7b

Mechanical
Mar 9, 2008
US
I graduated in Spring 07 with a BSME and started my first engineering job right after that. I am a piping engineer. The company I work for seems to be doing pretty well in their industry and they have treated me very well since day one. But, I find piping to be rather boring and it is not challenging at all. I don't use hardly anything that I learned in school. A lot of what I do is very basic data entry and making text changes on CAD drawings. My boss is very busy and it seems like he doesn't want to assign more work to me because he doesn't want to take the time to explain anything. The salary is good and I like most of the people I work with, so it's not like I need to quit right away. But I don't particularly like where I live and I would like to move closer to my family within the next couple of years. What types of industries can I get into with piping experience? I'm afraid that I won't have the kind of experience necessary to move on to a better job, since I'm not really learning anything at my current job. Or I might want to get into a completely different area of engineering, but again I won't have any experience. Any advice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Talk to your boss and explain him your issues.
3 things might happen:
a) He will tell you:"If you don't like it you can walk";
b) He will understand your position and try to cahnge the things
c) We will tell you that this is the nature of the job, so no much change can be done.

From his reply you will be able to gauge your possibilities and define your future moves.

One thing though: Usually when we have this kind of talk, we tend to overdo the reasons why we want change. Remember that you want to hear him talk and give you answers.

First jobs out of school are rarely interesting from an engineering point of view. You are actually learning boring but necessary stuff about organisations and systems.

Having said that, and I'm sure the piping engineers will beat me around the head, but how much engineering interest can you expect from piping?

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

My first job out of school was with a firm that did it all from piping to tank design to welding etc. I worked on drawings day in and day out. The piping engineers gave me small tasks to do along with the tank design. I was BORED OUT OF MY MIND! One of the piping engineers who had been doing this for 20- 30 years pulled me to the side and told me that I was too young to stick with piping engineering. He suggested I go out and explore other options then if i still wanted to do this, get back into it. I was in the wind!

Get out now! Do whatever it takes! I'm half-joking, but I've been doing piping for ~8 yrs, off and on so I have first-hand experience with the boredom (it's real and doesn't go away), and I think with just one year in, you're in a good position to move on. If you don't move now, piping will continue to suck you back in. It's fairly lucrative salary-wise, as long as oil/gas and power is booming. This is because piping is boring and no one wants to do it. On the other hand, refer back to 2001 when oil and gas was not yet booming, and power crashed. My department of 40 pipe stress engineers shrunk to about 4 people. Lesson learned, don't stick with piping just because it's good for job security and money right now because that can all change overnight.

However, just be aware that if you go to a new industry, you might not make what you make now and they'll probably categorize you as entry-level, even though you have 1 year experience.

Now would be the time to make any switch, as one year of experience is much easier to give up than, say 10-20 years. The advice that livingston was given was good, and timely considering the small amount of time that you currently have invested.

Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare. - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

I would recommend working hard on normal work to have extra time to teach yourself "communicable skills" which you can put on your resume, take with you to another company, and improve your chances of getting another job.

Good luck

It would help to know where you are and what kind of piping you are working on (natural gas pipline? Refinery piping? Steam piping in power plants?). Also, are you at an engineering contractor or a operating company?

I would suggest that one approach is to get out of the piping design business by getting into the piping construction business. Your piping experience might be good enough to get you into an operating company as well, and then your possibilites broaden.

If you stick with your current company, ask for opportunities to work rotating machinery, or vessels, or heat exchangers. Someone fresh out of school should be able to rotate through departments to get a perspective on several disciplines.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" Oddball, "Kelly's Heros" 1970

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Consider working with a major design/build contractor doing work for the food/pharm./chemical industries. I did that for some time.
Another possibility is building construction design. My brother has been an operator in bldg plumbing/fire protection design. He consulted with me on high rise fire water tanks.

I would look at this as an opportunity to be picky about your next job. It might take you a year to find a job that you really want but in the meantime you have one where you are paid well and one that you don't hate. I think it's better to look for a job now rather than wait until you have to take the first one you can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back