Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First Job out of school 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusaJames

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2007
US
I'm done with class forever in about a month from now. I will have a BS in ME. I have a company that tracked me down through a current employee. They would like me to come interview for a drafter position they have which would potentially lead to a designer job. I'm currently working as an intern at a large company. My question is, do you think it's a good idea to start as a drafter? Is this a spot many MEs start at? Might be a dumb question but I just don't know any better.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With a BSME you should be able to get a better job than drafter with a maybe designer promise.

You should be investigating (actually you should have already secured) a full-time position with the company that you are interning with.

That's good question. Is the designer job an engineering position? If so it might be a good way to start.

But having said that,in the Autralian automotive industry at least, I don't know of many drafters who move on to become engineers, even if they have engineering degrees.

What do you do as an intern - drafting or engieneering, or both?

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

If you have a BSME, you will have to work under a licensed ME to document your professional experience.

Moreover, you'd better check with your local state board to see if drafting will count toward that professional time required to qualify to take the test.

When I was in school, I did work as a drafter/designer for a local electric utility, but once I graduated, I immediately was promoted to an engineering trainee position, enabling me to qualify for the professional time I needed to obtain my Civil License. And on from there.

Good luck.

Mike McCann
McCann Engineering

"you will have to work under a licensed ME to document your professional experience" only if you're going for a PE.

There are many states and industries where a PE is not required.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Normally, I wouldn't advise taking such a drastic step backward for a new graduate. Graduates land in all kinds of crazy places because they really don't know what they want.

Figure out qhat you want (or at least think you want) and take deliberate steps toward that. If you have to start out that low, be sure it's on a path that leads somewhere.

I took some contract drafting jobs after college for two reasons:
1. To make up for not doing internship or co-op (due to military obligations)
2. To get close to where I wanted to be: product design.
I knew what I wanted and took the best path available for me to get there.

[bat]Honesty may be the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.[bat]
-SolidWorks API VB programming help

The designer would be an engineering position but it would start out with very limited responsibility. I thought this sounded like a step backwards but thought it might be a good way to shadow experienced MEs. I live in a city where Mechanical Engineers are not highly sought after. The company I have my internship through can't currently hire anybody in our department. They have pulled some strings to get my internship extended with no hard end date. So it could be 2 weeks or 2 years but my title and $ won't change.

Don't continue as an intern after school's over, that is crazy.

If you do take the drafting job treat it as an engineer would - you do the calcs, you do the whole shebang.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

You will have an engineering degree; assuming you don't have terrible grades, you deserve an engineering jog. Don't take a "drafter" job, and don't stay on as an intern; if either of those companies don't promote you and you decide to look elsewhere, it will not look good on your resume to have either of those positions listed post-graduation. If there is nothing else locally, you are young, move somewhere else.

And sorry, you are not done with classes. What university profs don't tell you: you have now only been trained in how to become an engineer; you've got a lifetime of learning ahead of you both thru employer provided training and learning on your own; and it may be a good idea to consider getting an MS degree at some point in the future.

Best of luck

SWComposites nailed it in my opinion (star for you), especially about the not being done with classes part.

BusaJames, you indicate that the drafter position may turn into a designer position which is a "true" engineering slot albeit with limited responsibilities (generally a good thing as you take your first steps into the "real" world of engineering). First of all, determine if this is a career path you want to follow, then try to find out if you can how long this transitional period of drafter to designer might take. If the time frame sounds reasonable, it may be worth considering. In general you should be actively persuing all potential options/employers you can through your school's placement center so that you can choose how you start your professional career wisely. Good luck

Regards,

Performing drafting/design task as a "fresh out of school" engineer can be a very valuable learning experience. BUT... it can also pigeon hole you depending on how your boss utililizes your abilities within your first couple of years at work.

You need to determine if the position for which you are being recruited is a "Drafting" position or an "Engineering" position. DO NOT take a drafting position. But an engineering position where you do some drafting at first may be a good deal.

I spent about 75% of my time during my first year at work doing CAD for the experienced engineers. Not only did I become an AutoCAD and Microstation "wizz", but I was able to soak up knowledge from different engineers. As time moved forward, my boss assigned me to progressively more "engineering" tasks, however I continued to perform drafting tasks for those around me (and I still do in many cases today). My CAD skills now rival the official drafters in our company, and I do about 90% of my own drafting for projects of which I am the lead engineer or project manager. Mainly because its faster and cheaper for me to do my own drafting than to allocate budget for drafters and/or designers who spend most of their time surfing the internet and soaking up man hours rather than actually working.

Before I was hired my "to-be" boss (during one of the 4 interviews) told me I would be spending a large amount of my time doing drafting for experienced engineers. But he made it VERY clear that I would be progressively introduced to engineering task as time moved forward. He was 100% true to his word, and years later my boss gets alot of bang for his buck.

Doing drafting for engineers is also useful for understanding the product as well, and your boss may want that to start for a couple months.

Some companies will try to get new engineering grad's to do drafting because they can pay you less then an engineer, but have the training and background of an engineer. So they win big because along with drafting they can have to do small mundane stuff to free up the engineers for "real" work.

I normally do my own drafting if it’s not "copy/past" because the person assigned to drafting here does not have attention to detail and is better at sleeping and playing saltier.

So, learning to draft is very helpful, but as almost everyone has said, avoid a "drafter" job title, if your title does not have "engineer" in it, their are plenty of other jobs that do.

Just my opinion here, but have you asked your current employer if they have plans on putting you on the payroll after your internship is finished? If they say no to the question then you are forced to find employment on your own.

I don't know if you have any loans to pay back and this can be a driving force to take the first job offered. However keep in mind a drafting job is typically much lower paying job than an entry level engineering job.

I'm not sure if your college or university offers help to graduates in finding a job. Never hurts to ask and see what they have to say.

Good Luck to you!

Any experience, even drafting experience, is better than no experience.

Dont spend 6 months looking for your ideal job only to have it taken from you by a guy who had 6 months related drafting experience.

csd

I have probed to see what the chances of becoming a regular employee where I am currently an intern. They cannot hire in our department right now and have no idea of when that will change. They have already extended my internship past its original completion date to keep me around.

I think I will talk to the perspective employer and let them know where I stand. If they are looking for a drafter then I am not the person they are looking for. If they are looking for a ME who can start with quite a bit of drafting and move up, then I'm interested. I also don't want to settle for the drafter title and pay.

BusaJames,

You have your BE in ME, the jobs you should be looking for jobs with Mechanical Eningeering 1 title (OK PE guys I mean in the exempt industry). Later on you should be going to Mechanical Engineering 2 then to the senior level of Mechanical Engineering. Drafing is almost a whole other job than what ME should be doing. Don't take anything less.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

I agree with the above advice - Furthermore, keep applying for jobs. Don't limit yourself to your home area. Also, just because you're ME, doesn't mean you can't work aero either. Aero is extremely busy right now. Tip: There is a very large Tier 1 supplier in the mid-west (Wichita) which I know is hiring design engineers right now.

BusaJames,
While there are occasions when you must select the "available" position rather than the one you truly desire, attempt to obtain a position that provides the greatest variety of engineering experience. Think of your first job as a continuum to your education as an Engineer, with pay. This will prove quite useful in your next job search and you will be in a position to pick and choose the "right" one then, if that first job was not.

Good luck. There are many opportunities out there today - for a welcome change.

Why not take advantage of the interview opportunity by asking during the interview for a clear path to a full engineering position?

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back