Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

first steps with API 614, need support! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atefhh

Mechanical
Jul 15, 2009
DE
Hello,
I’m new here. I’ living in Europe. I’m very glad that I find this forum.
I have to design a pressure duplexfilter according to the API 614.
My question are:
1-which kind of castings materials are allowed to satisfy the API 614 requirements?
2-Can we use iron cast for this filters?

Thanks!
I think I will have more questions within the next weeks and I hope I can find support from you :))

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Excerpt from API 614;-
"4.4 Pressure design code
The pressure design code shall be specified or agreed by the purchaser. Pressure components shall comply with the pressure design code (n.b.- ASME VIII or similar) and the supplementary requirements in this part of ISO 10438".
Hence, the cast iron housing must be in accordance with ASME VIII or a similarly recognised prssure vessel code.
cheers,
gr2vessels

Chapter 2 Special Purpose - 1.1.17 Pumps, filters, strainers, coolers, traps, valves, and all other components that retain oil under pressure and are external to the reservoir shall be made of steel.

Chapter 3 General Purpose - 1.2.14 When specified, pumps, filters, strainers, coolers, traps, valves, and all other components that retain oil under pressure and are external to the reservoir shall be made of steel.

For this spec it is tough to just state API614. That is to general. You need to specify if you are designing to Chapter 2 or Chapter 3. Chapter 2 is much more stringent than Chapter 3. As you can see above, Chapter 2 does not allow Cast Iron, whereas Chapter 3 does.

Nick Yackanech

Are you designing a filter or looking for a filter ?

If looking, Call indufil. They are in Europe and make most of the filters I see on API 614 systems.

Thank you for your support!

I have the " Lubrication, shaft-sealing and oil-control systems and auxiliaries" directive (ISO 10438:2007), Fifth edition, April 2008.

I don’t found the instructions 1.1.17 and 1.2.14!
I think I don’t have the right directive!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back