First time - need Contrologix 5000 info

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTSSTL

Electrical
Sep 25, 2006
US
Hello,

This is my first post, so please be patient.

I am an experienced PLC-3, PLC-5, and SLC programmer, but I am trying to learn Contrologix 5000 and am having some difficulty with the data structure. I am trying to teach myself, but I'm using a working processor and must be extremely careful.

Will someone point me to info concerning data tags, alias, style and other data type info for the Contrologix 5000? I have read the Allen-Bradley quick start guide and it does not offer much discussion of the data formats.

Thanks for your consideration, and I look forward to being a part of this forum.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello;
The ControlLogix does not have data files like the SLC or PLC (or most other PLCs for that matter). Rather you declare tags (variables). If you have ever programmed in C or Pascal or similiar language, this should be familiar.
Aliases are tags (or rather tag names) that point to a different tag called a base tag. So you have a single piece of data refered to by two different tags or name.
Another important feature is user defined data types. These are very similiar to structures in C.

Yep, these structures are familiar to me, but I've inherited a ControLogix program and it seems that the original programmer has created tags in a haphazard fashion. There are many arrays created that refer to PLC-5 type data tables, for example, tag arrays like N61[499], or B3[10].07

I'm not sure, but do you think these type tags were created to interface with RSView32?

From my experiences, the reason for tags like N61[499] or B3[10].07, is that the program was created as a conversion from PLC-5 to ControlLogix.
I have done a few of these myself, where it is important to retain some of the familiarity of the PLC-5 program, as a transition is made to ControlLogix, especially if you have numerous installed applications being serviced by field technicians.

NWBeaver, you are correct that this was based upon an existing PLC-5 program. Do you know if RSView32 "needs" to have tags that are named in that fashion? Or can RSView32 accept tags from ControLogix 5000 like "booster_pump_aux" rather than "N58:4/12"??
thanks for the reply.

NWBeaver,

Wow, thanks for the info, I searched on A5550 and got info that was very pertinent to what I am looking for.

What else do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back