Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First Use of Threads 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary

Mechanical
May 16, 2003
US
One of my colleagues was wondering aloud when the first threads were used for mechanical fastening, clamping, or positioning.

The first "thread" use I thought of was Archimedes and his screw-pump but he was thinking about threaded fasteners or power screws.

Anybody know?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I could be wrong, but I have a hunch that many metal screws produced in Roman, and perhaps Greek times were not hand filed as your first link claims, but produced on a lathe, probably using a thread chaser, but possibly something more sophisticated. However, it's just a hunch - I can't prove it. But the more I learn about earlier civilisations, the more I think we underestimate them.

Re: how to make things more accurate starting from less accurate:

In "Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy" published by Moore Tools, there's a nice description of making precision lead screws. The final step is hand lapping.

Laps are devices that average out errors, so if you have a screw with decent overall accuracy but local errors, a lap (skillfully operated) will improve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back