Fixing steel plates within a steel cylinder 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velyth

Aerospace
Apr 4, 2022
SE
Hello,

This should be a simple problem: As shown on my drawing I want to add plates of stainless steel to create levels within this hollow cylinder structure.

The plates are Ø900 mm and distanced each by 120 mm. The total height of the cylinder makes it such that I want to install 4 or 5 levels.

The practical question is about how to support those plates. In the bottom drawing you can see that I want to make holes through the plates to insert bolts that will play as pillars.

Given the plates’ diameter, spacing, and steel material, how would you make the holes to secure a good hold? (Important: you can decide the thickness of the plates)

For example, you could choose to have a circular pattern of 8 holes close to the inner wall, or just 4 but with double the diameter, or another circular pattern close to the middle axis of the cylinder, I don’t know so I’d like to hear from you best what sounds best.

DB56A62F-3117-42F9-98AB-475CA58A2C0B_auchg7.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

'Best' is very subjective. What does the assembly need to do?

Are the plates resting on the bolt-pillars or hanging from the top plate?

Exactly, there is no single “objective” solution as it’s a very open problem. Every engineer will suggest something different that will be correct and hold the plates.

The assembly is used for storage, the mass they’re supposed to carry is low so it’s not a design parameter right now. Maybe a plane thickness enough to support 50 kg.

The plates are resting on the bolt-pillars.

what supports these "hangers" ?

why not 4 angles, attached to the shell so a flange protrudes into the space of the cylinder and the plates could rest on these ?

What other design constraints ? do the plates have to circular (with no cut-outs) ?

what do you mean by "The plates are resting on the bolt-pillars." ? Maybe this answers my question from the OP ?

of course a very simple way, if these plates are just for storage, would be to have posts between each plate. Then all the weight would be on the lowest plate, yes?

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

@rb1957,

I don’t know what supports the hangers, it’s just an idea drawing.

I’m noting down your flange and posts ideas, in fact I’d really appreciate if you could illustrate them with a drawing as well.

Since we really want to perforate the plates and for the sake of listing several alternatives, I’d like to keep exploring what can be done with pillar bolts.

The plate is circular, I’m not thinking of any more design constraints.

so why not the "blindingly obvious" ... posts between plates ?
They could be free standing ... just place them on the plate below, and they support the plate above.
Is the bottom plate permanent ?
Posts could be free standing on the plate, or screwed into threads, or could be seated into posts (like dowels).

General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

I get what you want to do with posts, but pretend you’re using bolts.

What diameter holes would you drill in the plates and where + how many?

Every plate is permanent.

What is your chosen "Code of Construction" .... Is this an ASME or API coded vessel or tank ?

Is this part of some kind of weapon ??

What is the design pressure/design temperature of the cylinder ?

Is there a chance of pressure transient and therefore a relief valve would be important ?

Were you eating at an APPLEBEE's or BUFFALO WILD WINGS when you came up with your vague napkin sketch ?

Why must the rings only be supported by pillars ?

Is this part of some kind of homemade rocket or missle and are you a rabid member of HAMAS ???

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

I don’t exactly know what it is. All I know is it’s for storage.

You’re overthinking this way too hard. Forget about pressure or any design constraints.

Describe the holes you’d put through that plate and I’ll be more than happy.

One 50mm hole through the centre of each 20mm thick plate. A single M48 threaded rod through all plates then support the plates on nuts and washers spaced 120mm on the rod. Simple.

why not just simple posts, supporting one plate on the lower one ?

"forget any design constraints" ??

Punch or drill holes through the cylinder, position the plate where you want it, plug-weld with a MIG through the holes into the end of the plate.

Needs to be stronger? Machine, mill, cut, plasma-cut, or laser cut slots instead of holes, position the plate, run a MIG weld bead through the slots.

High production volume and needs to be really strong? Fixture the cylinder and plate in position and then have a robot MIG-weld the baffle in place, reaching in from the end.

There's a bazillion different ways to do this.

I assumed when he said "storage" that he'd want to remove the plates, to access the things stored below ?

You see, this where "design constraints" comes in ... what do you want to do with this ? do you want to remove the plates ??

A perfect air storage cylinder would be with holes the same diameter as the disk.

This seems like a pointless exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back