Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FLAC vr. Plaxis

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopernik

Geotechnical
Jun 15, 2006
GB
1. Can anybody show me some advantage/disadvantage of using Flac software in deformation analysis of reinforced soils?

2. Maybe some experience or practical point of view?

3. Currently Im using Plaxis and Im not sure with my outputs so I try to find a new codes.

4. Tell me something about overall practice in Flac!!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't comment too much on the coding part of the programs, but Plaxis is by far the easier program to use.

The biggest disadvantage of FLAC is the tediousness of it. With FLAC, you must generate your grid mesh first. You must plan on the size, shape, and mesh density of your grid before you even begin to shape it into the geometry and model you are analysing. It is a pain to alter the grid after starting to create the model geometry, oftentimes it becomes an iterative process, and sometimes you must start over from scratch.

With Plaxis, you create the model geometry with the simple CAD-type tool, and generate the grid mesh at the click of a button. There's just no comparison in the ease of it.

I'm sure Plaxis is a competent code, there is even an available Lagrangian analysis that narrows the gap between it and FLAC. I think the only way to be truly confident in your code/model is to compare with real experimental data.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The large deformation analysis in Plaxis narrows the gap between what it can and cannot do, when compared to FLAC.

I just checked, and the option in Plaxis is actually called "updated mesh". From what I understand, it updates the mesh during solving, which is what FLAC essentially does naturally in its Lagrangian analysis.

using other words, when I used UM option, Plaxis based solution on deformed geometry? and this´s a key difference comparing to conventional FE theory? but such a solution is correct from a physical point of view? do you compare any of yours updated mesh solution to the monitoring value on site or to some reference or something???

thanks for discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back