Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flagpoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLEngineer

Structural
Jul 15, 2005
CA
I am looking for some information on flagpole design. I am conducting some preliminary research into the correction of a problem with the pin openings on a flagpole. The flagpole is an aluminum, 50', cone tapered, tilt-down (pin connection pivot point with two steel channels for supports imbedded into the concrete foundation) flagpole in an open area close to the coast line that needs to be able to withstand Category 2 hurricane wind speeds and gusts (up to 120 mph). The problem involves the holes on the flagpole itself. A hurricane hit the area in 2003 and since then these openings have been getting larger, the pins are "banging" against the openings and forcing the aluminum to roll back whenever the wind changes. Presently the flagpole is on a tilt and we are looking for some way to rectify the situation without replacing the flagpole. I have come up with a few ideas on how to right the situation, but I am unfamiliar with flagpole design and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
NLEngineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From what I understand, you have a set of bolts passing through the flag pole on a single axis. If this statement is correct, why not put a set of channels spanning between the existing channels and add another set of bolts through the flag pole on another axis at 90 degrees perpendicular to the current set of bolts. Tighten the new bolts up to remove the 1/4" lean.

This is a good idea, but the the flagpole is tiltdown and having new channels and bolts at 90 degrees will not allow for this function.

it sounds like the flagpole is a bit of a hazard at the moment, and getting more damaged. wouldn't it be better to lower it now ? i think blake989's idea was to effectively rotate the flagpole 90degs, so you'd still have your functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.