Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flaky Point Clouds in SWx08?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bio88

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2008
Hi all - new to the site - look forward to helping out. I've been positioning some assemblies into a point cloud "part" - well three of them actually that make up the whole cloud if you will. The thing is the clouds start disappearing. There is no hide or unhide option, etc. I try to suporess and unsupress to no avail. The original parts themselves don't even come up right. The other user on the system can pull up 2 of the 3 clouds. It's just random and frustrating. Any experience with this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good point I didn't even consider those items. I will check tomorrow night when I hit it second shift. Its a newer Dell tower thingie with XP pro.

I start with an xyz file and then save as a part file. In the part file there are 3 fixed 3D sketch points and a created plane or two. The part file is not read only and over time and subsequent assembly saves the point cloud disappears from the point cloud part. The issue is a memory one. The point clouds will only return after I do a complete shutdown and startup. But even then it is too late for some of the clouds as the part file is corrupt and lacking the cloud. The only thing left is a smaller file and some planes and the points I spoke of before. Is that a memory leak, or poor memory releasing of SWx? Any tips appreciated. 4 gigs mem on the system - 256 on the vid card. Dual monitors widescreen res.

Its not a system issue. Well...it could be since this is an out of the box Dell. But I don't have admin rights so I can't dig around. All I can attest to is that to see the point clouds again I need to bring the system up fresh after completely shutting down. After running a while things start to get buggy. So it is a memory issue. And I have heard it is an issue SWx is aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back