Flame arrestor for chemical tank 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

binbin73

Petroleum
May 6, 2023
VN
Dear ALL,

Our facility is oil/gas platform with equipped many fixed chemical day tanks/skids (it's used for injection chemical daily/continuously)
We're reviewing the need of flame arrestor for the tanks where located at hazardous area and almost chemicals are flammable liquid.
At the moment, on the tanks are equipped bug screen only.
Please help to advise the requirement if any for flame arrestor for chemical tank or just apply bug screen?
thank you all in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OP,
Have you identified a controlling case involving possible ignition of the vapor space inside your tanks? If so, could you share it or any other factors that have you considering flame arrestors?
One consideration is flame arrestors required regular maintenance. If you install a large number of these, it could add considerably to your preventative maintenance schedule. Something like a birds nest built inside your flame arrestor could compromise its functionality. This is not meant to dissuaded you and I have worked with Protectoseal many times and they are an excellent company, among others, but I would ask you why flame arrestors are being considered in the first place. You should give consideration to the link pierreick provided and determine if the risk that flame arrestors mitigate are possible scenarios in your facility.

What is design code and upper / lower design pressure of these tanks ? A PVRV or similar is an equivalent and much safer to operate flashback arresting device.
Flame arrestors are required in many cases where PVRV cannot be used, but have potential operating risks, and often they dont work as intended.

georgeverghese, good points and a good option!

Inerting is possible as well in combination with a RV. I've even had a few customers who had a surplus nitrogen supplies use inerting with a standard gooseneck.

Thanks ALL for your valuable advice.
Our facility is old with some chemical skids installed beginning and now we intend to add some more then we have to review the need of frame arrestor.
I think PVRV is good option to apply, we will discuss in a team for that.
again thank you!

OP,
Check the latest editions of NFPA 30 and API 2000. Flame arresters were not required if the tank was fitted with PVRV.
Flame Arresters are maintenance-intensive and will add a 'failure mode' in HAZOP.

GDD
Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back