Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flame arrestors.. what standard determines if they are required.. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtangent

Chemical
Aug 4, 2003
US
All,

i've recently come of a project in asia where we installed flame arrestors on tanks with atomspheric vents on materials with a flash point of 0-10 C. I'm fairly certain this was a local code requirement. I am now working on an older site and the tank vents of similar flash point dont have these...but it could be that these are old tanks and as part of the upgrade we should install them..

so what review/ procedure/ standard or code discusses the use fo flame arrestors..?

i assume if a material is stored at or above its flash point it should have them on at atomspheric vent..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMHO, flame arrestors should be considered for tanks only when multipe vents are collected into a header say, for a flare system.

As stated by the API guideline, the inspection and maintenance issue can be quite significant.

Lots of good information at PROTEGO.... a German Mfr.

Dear MJCronin Hello/Good Morning,
Generally I will second you,

since many Improperly serviced/maintained Flame arrestors resulted in in-sufficient out breathing

while internal over pressurization initiated&got built up

to the levels of internal explosion(or implosion whichever term preferred as me not native English speaking person)

That consequently lead to ripping off the top roof/shell circumferential seam in varying lengths;as per severity of each incident.

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

There are several standards, but few codes (a standard being a recommended or best practice, and a code being mandatory or law). The only code I know of applies to US facilities that collect vapors from ships or barges (Coast Guard rule). Standards include ANSI (UL 525), API RP2210 and Publication 2028. The UK had a standard (EN12874) that has been adopted as an EU standard (same number, EN 12874) but refuted as inadequate or even dangerous, by a UK study.

FAs are often mis-applied, improperly maintained, and usually mis-undertood, and therefore they are not code requirements. It is certainly preferable to include one (properly specified, installed and maintained) if the vent feeds a header. If the vent is direct to the environment, they are also preferred, as they are intended to keep an external fire from entering the tank via the vent, but again, they must be properly spec'd, installed, and maintained. perhaps the worst thing about them, is they often give a false sense of safety and yet are not operated and maintained correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back