Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flange checking using NC-3658.3 method

Status
Not open for further replies.

abehong

Mechanical
Dec 3, 2012
US
I have been using ASME section III nuclear flange calculation for flange joint checking for one process piping design( design code ASME B31.#). Now someone is questioning whether or not ASME III nuclear flange calculation is accetpable for oil and gas applications . The piping sysem is not a nuclear class 2 system. Personally, I do not think the condition for using ASME section III nuclear flange calculation is to design piping system as per Nuclear code. The only condition is to use high strength bolting material and have proper installation procedure in place. Not sure if my understanding is correct or not. Is my understanding correct or not ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Whats the range where NC-3658.3 can be used? For example, can it be applied to flanges in the creep range? Are you applying it to flanges in the creep range?
I suggest you purchase this paper by W. Brown; PVP2013-97814 - Improved Analysis of External Loads on Flanged Joints. It has some good background info on NC-3658.3 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back