Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flange design gasket oustide studbolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaka

Petroleum
Mar 15, 2007
BE
Hi,
need to design a bolted flange with the gasket outside the boltcircle.
It can't be a full face gasket, it is a flat metal jacketed gasket.

Anyone?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Medium is around the flange, and the flange has tapped bolt holes.
This is done for a "pull through floating head".
Like a tema head type: "t".

If I understand the issue correctly, the proposed flange is similar to that shown in VIII-1 App 2 Fig 2-13 with the bolt hole and gasket surface reversed. I haven't pondered the implication much, but seems that the internal moment caused by the bolt-gasket couple is behaving the same way as it would for a normal flange. Thus, I'd start with a "normal" flange calc. The only thing substantially different is the flange is relatively smaller and, of course, needs to have internal access on both sides for bolt-up and will interfere with the fluid flow like an RO would.

jt

What you're describing is called a "reverse flange." Guidelines for their design are covered in Appendix 2-13 of Section VIII-1.

These are used on floating head heat exchangers (TEMA "S" and "T") where the tube side has only one pass.

-Christine

Sorry for the unclearness...but it isn't a 2.13 type.

You could see it as a regular loose type flange (type 2.4) but with the gasket outside the bolts & the flange is positioned in the middle of a pipe.
The process fluid is around the flange and pipe.

flaka, can you post a figure of your flange? (see FAQ559-1177). I can't see how you can make the flange pair tight, as the bolt holes can be tapped on one flange, but cannot be on the mating one.
This flange pair could be considered to be subject to external pressure, and thus calculated per 2-11, but, as the gasket is outside the bolt circle, it behaves like a flange subject to internal pressure, with all three loads H[sub]D[/sub],H[sub]G[/sub],H[sub]T[/sub] acting in the same direction, thus adding up in the moment equation.
In my opinion, changing my position with respect to my previous post, you should calculate flange moments per 2-6 using h[sub]G[/sub]=(G-C)/2 and M[sub]0[/sub]=W(G-C)/2

prex
: Online tools for structural design
: Magnetic brakes for fun rides
: Air bearing pads

Are you talking about something similar to a head gasket where you have seal at each bolt hole?

Can you use a metal/metal contact for sealing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back