Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flange Load Bearing Capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

RH001

Mechanical
Apr 6, 2022
US
I am trying to verify the loading capabilities of a flange with two seperate 4 bolt patterns and a center through hole. This flange will see tension loading across the thickness of the flange. It is made of 2.25" thick A36 plate steel, attached at the threaded bolt pattern by four 1-1/8"-7 A574 cap head screws. The other bolt pattern is countersunk 1.125" and attached with 1"-8 A574 cap head screws. I just want to verify there is adequate safety factor built into this part and have not performed an analysis in this manner in many years. Attached is a sketch of the flange face with dimensions.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a8a6ba5b-ef6d-460b-a3c1-23b1d2130163&file=20220406_131855.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A sketch of what the flanges are mounted onto and arrows showing the applied loads might provide some responses that will help you, but all we know is that it’s loaded in tension but how? Is it under pressure from compressed air or a liquid ????

“Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater.” Albert Einstein

I understand. I just posted this actual flange as it is the weakest link and I do not have those drawings handy.The mating flanges are also A36, albeit much thicker. It is loaded in tension directly across the cross section of the flange by a hydraulic cylinder, perpendicular to the face by the four bolt threaded pattern in one direction (hydraulic cylinder) and countersunk pattern in the other. The countersunk bolts are then bolted to a flanged 8" square beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back