Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flange material ASTM A 182 GR.F61 PT(pressure temperature) table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANTRIJ

Petroleum
Jun 24, 2014
IN
Flange material ASTM A 182 GR.F61 PT(pressure temperature) table is not available in the ASME B 16.5 , I would like to know which standard to be used to find out PT table for to assigning flange rating.

Your help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RIJOANTONY, if the material is not listed in B16.5, a flange made from it cannot be assigned a B16.5 rating. A design method such as Sec VIII, Div 1 Apx 2 (as an example) would be used. Other Codes may be more suitable based onthe Code of construction of the work.

EDIT: Assuming there is no Code Case, etc permitting its' use.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Agreed with SnT. Don’t be fooled if you can buy a B16.5 flange on the market that’s marked as UNS S32550 or F61. That doesn’t make it a B16.5 flange, it’s called marketing. Happens on a daily basis with Titanium flanges as well which have never been part of B16.5.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Also 410 SS. PVC.

Me said:
The world is full of things you can buy. Not all of them are suited for use in Code pressure vessels. [bigsmile]

In the specifications, call for the manufacturing standard is ASME B16.5,I think it is possible to manufacture with B16.5, but how it is ?

No it’s not possible, since F61 isn’t listed, and it never will be as long as F61 is not incorporated to B16.5.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

It will be a B16.5 pattern, but with no B16.5 rating. Same as PVC.

I agree.

You might be able to buy a flange made to the dimensions of a F61 class xxx ASME B 16.5 flange, but as you've discovered, you can't find a P-T table to go with it.

Try asking someone who can make it what they think??

Or use material group 2.8 which has F44,51,53 and 55 in it and state somewhere (design basis?, calculations?) that this is what you've used as it is 25% Chrome.

Compare the materials and strengths and if say F55 is slightly lower then in reality that's as good as you can be.

F61 has been around a very long time so it's a bit surprising that it's not in ASME B 16.5, but the same happens to ASTM A694 F grades which is very commonly used on pipelines to match the API 5L grades and it isn't listed in B 16.5 either.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back