Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flange materials - B16.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaplin

Mechanical
May 29, 2002
CA
If I have to make a flange with unique dimensions (ie. we are matching a russian bolt pattern), is my only option to get a blank flange and machine it? I know this is probably a dumb question, but are there any other materials that come in round carbon steel bars that can be used? (I see B16.5 only mentions forgings, castings, and plates).

thanks..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could use plate. See SecVIII Div1 Appendix2 It is bad engineering to "cookie cut" flanges from bar stock-grain structure.

If the flange does not employ a hub (for example, sketch 3a of Fig 2-4 of Section VIII, Div 1) you can use plate. If the flange does employ a hub, see Appendix 2, paragraph 2-2(d) for more specific requirements.

I assume by "round bars" you are referring to rings, or cylinders. The answer is no, except for forged rings, & pipe. You did not provide sufficient data to make a specific recommendaton.
The general options for a flange are:
1. A forged ring for you to finish machine.
2. A finished machined forged flange
3. Strips cut from plate, rolled & welded, with original surfaces of plate at OD & ID or the ring.
4. A ring cut from plate.
Options 1 to 3 are required is the flange is to have a hub.
Option 3 would require PWHT.
At least in the US, forged flange blanks can be obtained at reasonable cost and delivery time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back