Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FLANGE ROTATION CALCULATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soave

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2015
BR
Dear All

I'm engaged in a study about bolted flange joint and I need find the flange rotation.
Someone knows how I can find the rotation by an analytical calculation?
(book, code, article...)

At moment I'm using just FEA.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think in EN 134445-3 Annex G and Annex GA there is some formulation about it. Annex G and GA are the most detailed calculation method at the moment for circular flanges (as far as I know).

I will tell you the truth, I always use the simpler method in Chapter 11 of EN 13445-3

Best regards,

Manologalarraga said:
EN 134445-3 Annex G and Annex GA
TGS4 said:

Normative Annex G (normative) and GA (informative) of EN 13445-3:2014 are based on EN 1591-1:2001.

Excerpt from § G.1 from NF (french) then DIN (german) versions:
"NOTE La présente annexe est basée sur EN 1591-1:2001, Brides et leurs assemblages - Règles de calcul pour les
assemblages à brides circulaires avec joint. Pour assurer une présentation cohérente au sein de la présente norme, de
nombreuses modifications par rapport au texte de pr EN 1591 ont été introduites, par exemple dans la numérotation des
équations et des paragraphes.
"

"NOTE This annex is based on EN 1591-1:2001, Flanges and their joints - Design rules for gasketed circular flange
connections. To ensure consistent presentation within this standard many editorial changes, e.g. numbering of equations,
figures and sub-clauses, have been made from the text in EN 1591-1:2001.
"

Excerpt from § GA.1 from NF then DIN versions:

"NOTE La présente annexe informative est un nouveau développement de la méthode alternative contenue dans
l’Annexe G. Elle peut être utilisée particulièrement dans les cas de raccordements à brides boulonnés de récipients contenant
des gaz et des vapeurs, pour lesquels il est nécessaire de fixer un taux de fuite maximal admissible afin de protéger
l’environnement. Les coefficients de joint contenus dans les Tableaux GA.9-1 à GA.9-6 sont partiellement basés sur des
résultats de recherches et partiellement sur des considérations théoriques. Il convient d’utiliser de tels coefficients avec
précaution en accord, lorsque cela est possible, avec le fabricant de joints concerné.
"

"NOTE This informative Annex is a further development of the Alternative method contained in Annex G. It may be used
particularly in the case of bolted flanged connections of vessels containing gases or vapours, for which it is necessary to fix a
maximum allowable leak rate in order to protect the environment. The gasket factors contained in Tables GA.9.1 to GA.9.6 are
partially based on research results, and partially on theoretical considerations. Use of such factors should be made with caution,
with the agreement - whenever possible - of the gasket manufacturer concerned.
"

best regards,

tigny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back