Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flange Splice per AREMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

StructuralAddict

Civil/Environmental
Jul 19, 2016
CA
In AREMA, there is this requirement about splicing the flange of a flexural member "No two elements in the same flange shall be spliced at the same cross section". So, for a bolted built-up girder whose flange consists of 3 cover plates: my question is what is meant by element? Like are all 3 cover plates considered as one element of the flange? Or is each cover plate considered an element of the flange? Like should I splice all cover plates at one section? Or should I splice the cover plates at different sections?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Each cover plate (and each angle) is an element. So, you'd need to splice each one at a different location, presumably with enough bolts in between to develop the capacity of the cover plate in between splices.

I appreciate your quick reply. I tend to share the same interpretation of this AREMA requirement.

I'm curious if there is any documentation in AREMA or other relevant sources that offers a precise definition of the "elements" in a bolted built-up girder. I need to cite this information in the calculation report to support the rationale for splicing the girder at multiple locations.

Also, is it acceptable to treat the double angles as one flange element? I think it would be preferable to uphold cross-sectional symmetry by splicing both angles at the same section cut.

Thank you.

I couldn't tell you specifically for AREMA; I'm not that familiar with it. When I get back to the office on Monday, I'll check if there's a definition in my AASHTO spec. I don't know what it may have by way of a definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back