Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flange Stresses 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolan51

Mechanical
Aug 31, 2001
US
Where can I find a design procedure or calculation method on how to design a flange welded to a shaft that is then bolted to a an end plate of a machine? The loads are torsion, bending, tension, and shear looking along the shaft towards the flange. I am interested in the flange stresses and the bolt loads.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can find some information in the first two references shown here: faq725-600

The second reference from the FAQ lists a draft standard: DIN V 2505 Calculation of flanged joints, which does not appear to be current. Perhaps the information was incorporated into either DIN EN 1515 Flanges and their joints - Bolting or DIN EN 1759 Flanges and their joints - Circular flanges for pipes, valves, fittings and accessories, Class designated. I would contact DIN directly and ask them:

Lastly, a software company called Hexagon offers a product called SR1 that performs bolted joint calculations. The expanded version performs flange calculations (I believe to the old DIN V 2505 standard). You can learn more at:

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back