Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flange to Pipe fillet weld size Limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVG1

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2012
US
First off I don't know if I should post here or on Pressure Vessel and Boiler forum, but anyways...

I have a 10" sch. 40 pipe and a slip-on flange for use in ASME Sect VIII, Div 1. The fillet weld on the outside of the pipe to flange is calc'ed at 9/16"...

Is there anything that limits the size of the fillet being greater than 1/2", some one at the shop mentioned they can't go above 1/2" and didnt give a reason, and usually the size is 3/8", but with this particular configuration we need a 9/16" fillet

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you need 9/16" then use 9/16". This sounds typically like someone has been told this a long time ago for a particular set of circumstance or has been told it as a default value in place of anything else, but doesn't know why and can't quote a code section or reason. Ignore them.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

There is a limit on depositing a single pass weld larger than 1/2 inch when welding groove welds. If one wishes to deposit groove welds with individual weld beads larger than 1/2 inch, it must be qualified by testing.

If the weld is deposited as a multipass weld, the 1/2 inch limitation does not apply as long as each weld bead is less than 1/2 inch thick.

Best regards - Al

gtaw:

That is the only thing I saw too, with our weld procedures, 1/2" max weld pass, the 9/16" fillet would be laid down in 2 or 3 passes...

Thank You

To all, I suspect at least part of the confusion is due to the (fairly) recent changes to Part UW-21. I have found that not everybody is up on it.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Good point, I was basing my comments on the requirements of Section IX and qualifying the WPS. Section VIII could very well impose additional restrictions on the size of the weld. I do not have a copy of Section VIII to confirm if that is the case here.

Best regards - Al

gtaw, for many years Sec VIII, Div 1 merely required both inside and outside fillets to be equal to the neck thickness. A few years back UW-21 was changed to require a smaller inside and larger outside fillet, thereby rendering many old drawings incorrect :)

Regards,

Mike

It looks like the hub diameter at the back of the flange is 12", so if there is no taper, the hub is 5/8" thick- if there is a taper, do you still have room to put a 9/16" weld?

JStephen, the outside fillet is required to be the lesser of 1.4*tn or the hub small end thickness. Assuming the OP's 9/16" was based on the former, it would be permitted to be less, if equal to the hub small end thickness. Small end thickness of course assumes the hub is tapered. I believe that this is manufacturers option. So, unless you are holding the flange in you hands....

Whoopee.

Regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back