Flange weld type forged valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

errthang

Nuclear
Jan 25, 2024
KR
Dear, all

Hi I'm QC Engineer of plant water treatment package company.

I have one question for forged valve.
I can't find that information for below question
If you have any information for below question, please let me know.

Q.1
- When made flange weld type forged valve(no integral type), weld point of shell(body) to flange is not forging.
Can a welded area also be called forging? The welded area is not forged, so how can it be called a forged valve?
Please give me reference design code or something

Have a nice day.
Regards,
errthang.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As stated, the valve is a forged valve and the forged flanges are welded to the forged valve as needed for connecting to the pipes at both ends of valve, similar to the rest of the piping components.

This is a forged valve body, but without integral flanges so the "valve" is still forged, but made with WE connections to which someone has then welded on the forged flange. They could just have easily welded on a piece of pipe.

It might fall into the definition in section 2.1.6 of ASME B 16.34

2.1.6 Valves Fabricated by Welding. A valve made
wholly or partly from segments of castings, forgings,
bars, plates, or tubular product welded together will
merit the applicable pressure–temperature rating only if

Then there are sub sections.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thank you @mk3223 for your response.

I was just curious about the welded part of the valve.
I was curious because I didn't know if there are welded parts made from forging. I'll make sure to study more about this

Best Regards,
Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you @LittleInch for your response.
If items a to c, and 1 to 3 are all satisfied, is it considered a forged valve even if there is a welded part?

Section 2.1.6 of ASME16.34
2.1.6 Valves Fabricated by Welding. A valve made wholly or partly from segments of castings, forgings, bars, plates, or tubular product welded together will merit the applicable pressure–temperature rating only if
(a) it conforms to all applicable requirements of this Standard
(b) weld fabrication and heat treatment of welds are in accordance with the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code (ASME BPVC), Section VIII, Division 12
(c) nondestructive examination of welds is in accordance with ASME BPVC, Section VIII, Division 1, as required to warrant a joint efficiency, E, not less than
(1) 0.80 for flanged-end and Standard Class weldingend valves larger than NPS 6
(2) 1.00 for Special Class welding-end or threadedend valves in all sizes (see para. 8.3.3)
(3) 1.00 for valves in cryogenic service3
These requirements are not applicable to seal welds or attachment welds such as for backseat bushings, seat rings, lifting lugs, and auxiliary connections.

Best Regards,
Thank you

No, it's considered a valve that meets the requirements of ASME b16.34 and can be used in accordance with that pressure temperature rating in the standard.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

We often get supplied with Class 800 SW/BW valves with class 600/300/150 flanges welded to body.

Screenshot_2024-03-11_153015_ppilbh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back