Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flanged Flat Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

takiyasamsama

Chemical
Feb 10, 2015
MY
Is there any flange flat head for a vessel? Where can I find reference to it? In ASME, is UG-34(11) Sketch(p), is that refers to flange type flat head?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The terminology may be confusing.
The head manufacturers make flanged flat heads which are a flat plate with a lip ("flange") that forms a short cylinder. These are normally made in thinner plate, and used for atmospheric applications. If used for any substantial pressure, the thickness becomes excessive, and it isn't feasible to form the lip/flange on it.
Not to be confused with a blind flange, which is addressed in the code, and commonly used as needed.

takiyasamsama, all the sketches in UG-34 are, of course, flat heads.

Sketches (a) thru (d) would likely be considered flanged, flat heads, usually referred to as flanged-only heads. Sketches (j), (k) & (p) would usually be referred to as blind flanges. The rest are something else.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

I have rubber lined vertical cylindrical vessel with welded dished ends operating at 3 bar. The connecting pipelines are flanged with the vessel.Can I fabricate a new similiar vessel with flanged dish ends operating at 3 bar? The vessel is used in Water treatment plant for mixed bed. Is there any code / standard stating the rule upto which bar i can use flanged dish ends instead of welded ends.

Stunner,

Yes you can. However you have to know that blind flange thickness is going to give you heavier ends. In case the vessel diameter gets large the dished end solution becomes more economical and operation and maintenance friendly.

For your application you need to consult a vessel design engineer to see the difference.

Thanks for your kind review. May I know up to which operating pressure flanged dished ends are advisable. Any code or standard reference

For the standard pipe sizes you can buy off the shelf by consulting fitting supplier at your local area. They may call it PIPE CAP. Higher sizes you need to approach to a manufacturer. You'd better use GOOGLE. The following is one example. This example shows their dished end types to the code, sizes and manufacture capabilities (max wall thickness for the assigned diameter) as well:

However, you need to consult a pressure equipment design engineer to determine the needs of your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back