Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flare Emissions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aakanksha

Civil/Environmental
Mar 3, 2004
US
hai,

Can anyone please help me with flare emissions calculations.

The information given is as follows:

25 MMSCF of gas is vented to the flare due to startup, shutdown, and maintenance of the facilty.
Flare control efficiency is 98 percent.

i would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
sandy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could you provide a little more information as to what you are trying to calculate?

Are you trying to get an emission rate (grams per second of pollutant)? Or are you trying to model the concentrations 100 yards downwind of the flare?

Also, you might want to try posting in the Local Exhaust Ventilation Forum. It's not a very active forum, but there might be someone that could help?

Everest

Hai eyan,

Thanks for your reply.
Iam trying to estimate emissions in tons per year or lbs/hr for CO, NOx, PM10, VOC and SO2.
I think we will have to get the emission factors for natural gas combustion from AP-42 for estimating the emissions.
Please let me know if you are able to come up with a solution

Thanks,
aakanksha

Hi Sandy,

If it's AP-42 emission factors you're looking for then I think this link may point in you in the right direction.

They're assuming a minimum 98% combustion efficiency which I assume is the same thing as flare control efficiency.

This other paper might be able to help.

It's a paper from Spain so the emission factors may or may not apply within the United States, but the methodology seems straight forward. I haven't read the entire document yet.

Basically, once you find some emission factors that you're confident with the problem's solved.

I hope this is enough information to help you calculate your emission inventory. If not, maybe you can reply and hopefully someone else can provide more details.

Good luck.

Everest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back