Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FLARE STACK- MECHANICAL CALCULATIONS- EARTHQUAKE AND WIND 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DORU

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2002
RO
Hi,
Can anyone tell me about some international standards which could allow me to perform mechanical calculations and design for the flare stacks, high columns, steel exhaust chimneys etc ? I am especially refering to the vertical body (pipe) stability calculation and the eartquake/ wind verification. Also I am very interested in the anchor bolts calculations/ design.

Thanks,
Doru7171@hotpop.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the tip ! I will do so. Do you know where I can find a calculation sample (using the mentioned standard or something else) ?

Thanks everyone, your messages were extremely helpfull ! Any other information on the subject are still welcome.
Thanks again.

Take a look at "Tubular Steel Structures - Theory and Design" by M.S. Troitsky (published by the James F. Lincoln Arc Welding Foundation, Library of Congress Number - 81-80993)

I am the developer of the software mentioned above (Stackdes). In addition to the ASME STS-1-2000 code mentioned above, another International code used is CICIND ( If you are in the US, then STS is the best code to use. In the back of the code there are some worked examples. Please make sure you get a current copy with the latest Errata, which corrected the examples. I am on the STS committee and we spent much time correcting some mistakes in the originally worked examples.

My speciality is designing Flare stacks (Guyed, Self Supported, and Derrick Supported), so if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Chris Rosencutter
support@mecaconsulting.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back