Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

flash steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

soufiane

Chemical
Apr 16, 2002
MA
I wish to produce some steam by using the energie of smokes resulting from an furnace of combustion which produces 40000 kg / hour of smokes. The flow of smokes which will be used for the production of the vapor is 7000 kg / hour to produce 150 kg / hour of vapor. Given that the quantity of vapor is far too small of a boiler to build using a traditional steam
drum, I thought of making circulate more water than steam needed and at a pressure where it
doesn't evaporate in the coil, then direct the flow to a separation
tank(small drum) to vaporize at pressure required. I wish to have suggestions concerning the design of the valve allowing this depression and the feasibility of this solution. The vapor generated in 5 bar will be used to warm the fuel oil by the intermidiaire of a heat exchanger.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Soufiane,

The valve operation will be similar to that of a blowdown valve on boiler drums to blowdown vessels and are quite common. Most reputable valve manufacturers will be able to advise.

Isn't there any other uses you could find for the steam?? WHat about office heating?

Regards

Paul

soufiane, I think I understood your intent - the 150 Kg/hr should be drawn from a constant pressure source through a control valve. Have you thought about controlling the steam drum pressure to a given value by throttling the heating medium (i.e., the "smoke") to maintain that pressure? I would recommend against trying to control vapor production by varying water flow through your heat source. Instead, the quantity of primary heating should be varied to control the vapor to a certain pressure. Your load can then draw steam as needed from the source. Good luck, -Chas

If all you are doing is heating the furnace fuel oil, then it seems like it would be more efficient to exchange the heat directly with the flue gas. You could run the fuel oil through a few coils in the furnace duct to obtain the desired temperature.

Can you elaborate on the intented use of the wet steam. otherwise if it is only heating the fuel oil then it may be better to do it directly but if you want to heat the water as well then it is different.

Re the valve Yarway could have the valves you are looking for. Thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back