Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flat head with BW nozzle 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElCidCampeador

Mechanical
May 14, 2015
IT
Hello,
Is it allowed by ASME VIII Div.1 to design a flat head with a butt weld nozzle as in figure here below? Are there any limitations (e.g. radius of head protusion)? Thanks
flatbwnozzle_rzuprx.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ElCidCampeador, 1) Is it allowed? If it is not prohibited, it is permitted.

2) Any limitations? Apparently not, apply good practice, perhaps follow Fig 2-4 for guidance?

Might it not be a corner joint, or is buttweld required?

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

r6155 said:
See Figure UW-16.1 (f-1) and (f-4).

mmm but weld is not in the shell/head, it's along the nozzle so I think those figures dont'apply.

SnTMan said:
2) Any limitations? Apparently not, apply good practice, perhaps follow Fig 2-4 for guidance?

Figure 2-4 of App.2? Why? Flange is welded to the nozzle by another joint...

ElCidCampeador, I was looking at 2-4 sketch 5. It gives guidance on fillet radius (3/16 min) but nothing on projection (hub) length. Projection must only be long enough to contain the fillet and weld prep and allow for planned inspection. I see noting in UW-16 that seems applicable.

Again, it seems only that "good practice" applies.

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

For a moment look at the sketch (f-4) without the weld, then add the weld wherever you want keeping the original shape with the 19mm radius.
ASME does not show all the figures that exist. Try to understand.

Regards

So it's 3/16 vs 19mm vs good practice...mmm now it's clear XD

However, thank you all, I think this is a grey zone and could be a good idea to get the opinion of my AI

ECC, I like your designs. Bears a lot of resemblance withe details of vessels we quite often have (we have a lot of very small vessels were a lot of creative design details & solutions are required whcih often arent addressed properly by the Code).

Huub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back