Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flat Out Pattern for Eccentric Reducer Calculation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fglass

Materials
Jul 20, 2006
MY
Does anybody know the way to determine flat out pattern of an eccentric reducer? Assuming that the small OD is 5" and big OD is 12". Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wouldn't the flat out pattern be a trapezoid with one base = 5" x Pi and the other base = 12" x Pi and a length ( height ) = whatever the length of the desired reducer ? The "bases" would be parallel but not "concentric" ? Can't you make one out of paper to see if this makes sense ?

good luck

fglass,

Your answer is ambiguous. If my way did not work out right, were you able to solve the problem by building a simple paper model ? Seems like you should be able to.

good luck

Oh, I mean does anybody know the formula to determine the flat out pattern of an eccentric reducer by knowing the small OD, big OD and the height of a reducer? Building the paper model is tedious as we have many different sizes of eccentric reducers.

I know the way to calculate the flat out pattern of a CONCENTRIC reducer, but not for ECCENTRIC reducer.

Personally, I'd download the free version of SketchUp (which is a surface modeller), create the reducer, use the un-fold plug-in to create a flat pattern and export this as a DXF.

You have to truncate the oblique cone to make an eccentric reducer.

The page presents a visual outline of the technique, which is probably not real clear if you haven't ever done it.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back