Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flat pattern in a drawing not showing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prooney

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2006
US
I've created a piece that I've inserted bends into and when I go to do my drawing in the view pallete the flat pattern is showing up as the top view not the piece in the flattened state. Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ok I just figured out why it was happening but don't understand how it was happening.

In part file in the feature manager design tree I had a grayed out part called "flat pattern". When I deleted this my flat pattern came up in my view palette for the drawing.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the why and how this happened?? Thanks.

Why did you delete the "Flat-Pattern1" feature? SW uses that feature to create the derived config for the flat pattern.

After deleting the "Flat-Pattern1" feature, did you suppress the "Process-Bends1" feature? If so, that is why the views are screwed up.

CBL,

I looked through some of my previous parts and noticed that they didn't include this grayed out part so that's my reason for deleting it.

Only after deleting this feature did my views show up correctly.

There is 2 ways to create a bent sheetmetal part.

1. Create the base (bottom), then add edges to that. Final model will be folded version

2. Create the flat pattern then add bends to form the folded part. Final model will again be folded

First way will give you 2 configurations in your part, flat pattern and folded.

Second way will only give you the folded config in your part, until you go to create your drawing it will then create the other config for the flat pattern.

Insert the view you wish make sure the config is set to that and off you go.

Don't start suppressing and deleting features in your part as it could screw up the other config and give you frustrating rebuild errors.

Personnally i prefer the first method, cause i get to think less, and that makes my pay seem like more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back