Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flat Pattern Problem, Orientation Problem, Viewing Problem. The day of Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjlasota

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2019
US
I have a whole host of problems going on today, not sure what it is, but wondering if anyone can help out. Problems listed below. I'd love to share screenshots, but haven't been given permission by the customer yet.

Problem 1: My orientation dialogue box is no more. I hit space bar and the 3D model zooms out and show all the faces I can click on for view, but the Orientation box doesn't show up anywhere. I've tried switching monitors, changing main screen, restarting Solidworks, and restarting computer with no luck. The space bar is also still listed as my shortcut for the orientation box, yet it doesn't show up.

Orientation_iwswne.jpg

Problem 2: A customer gave us a part and I was able to flatten it within Solidworks. I then toss the part into an assembly file and want to compare it to an old 3D flat pattern I had available. However, when I flatten it within the assembly, it shows both the formed and flat pattern. I tried making a configuration in the part file and setting that as the flat pattern so I could select it in the assembly and still shows both form and flat together.

Problem 3: Since Problem 2 wasn't getting what I needed done, I tried to create a print instead. In my drawing views on the 2D print, all the views show up, but flat pattern is not an option. Normally, when I have a sheet metal part and create a print, I can select both form and flat views. Yet, in the SLDPRT file, it does show sheet metal and allow me to flatten it correctly.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Brandon LaSota
CAD Engineer
Modineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Problem 1 is solved by this icon in the Orientation box.

Orientation_pi19he.jpg

When you place a SM part into a drawing that is when the config is automatically made. You should not have to make it.
SM-_flat_nof1zd.jpg

Hope that helps,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Dapco, INC

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

@SBaugh, I should have been more clear with my post.

Problem 1: This box wouldn't even pop up. I would click spacebar and the view orientation cube around my part would show up just fine. However, the Orientation dialogue box would not. It wasn't hidden behind any windows, off screen, or anything. It was simply not there.

Problem 2: The flat pattern does not even show up in my options. In the 3D part file, the flatten button under the sheet metal tab works great. However, over on a 2D print, the flat pattern does not show up in the options for a view.

Brandon LaSota
CAD Engineer
Modineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back