Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flat plate depression for planting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi all,
How would this be supported by the structural system? My thought is to consider the column strips as the supporting system for the flat plate depression (GF-11). Am I right?
any help would be highly appreciated.

Not sure what you're describing or showing in the sketch. What is the shape and size of the depression? You use the term "plate", which would indicate something made out of steel (?). If so, my question would be, why would you use steel for this? Concrete can be shaped easily; steel, not so much.

BridgeSmith said:
You use the term "plate", which would indicate something made out of steel (?). If so, my question would be, why would you use steel for this? Concrete can be shaped easily; steel, not so much.
RC flat plate (a slab without beams, drop panels, and column capitals).

Ok, so you have a concrete slab with a contoured top. I still don't see anything that provides dimensions for your slab or anything that indicates where and what kind of columns and beams are available to support it.

I mean, you've kind of got two options if that's just supported by the surrounding slab.

1. You design the supporting slab like there's a hole in it with a load applied to the edge and then design the depressed slab with pins on the edges and it hanging from the main slab.
2. You design the depressed slab as integral to the span and bring the spanning moments down and into it

Then you detail to suit your assumptions

Finite element software is good for this sort of thing. Otherwise check it with strips. note that the normal column strip middle strip concept doesnt really apply in highly irregular scenarios like this.

TLHS said:
1. You design the supporting slab like there's a hole in it with a load applied to the edge and then design the depressed slab with pins on the edges and it hanging from the main slab.
Why pins on the edges?
TLHS said:
2. You design the depressed slab as integral to the span and bring the spanning moments down and into it
Can you elaborate more on this?

TLHS said:
Why pins on the edges?
Do you mean releasing moments on the edges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back