Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flat plate floors with shears at perimeter and internal columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonGeng

Structural
Jan 21, 2009
AU
I have a one-storey building supporting the big tanks for beer producers. Each tank is supported by three columns. Due to the big seismic force, shear walls are introduced.

The structural system:
Shear walls on each corner (L-shaped walls);
3 internal columns on each tank location to support tank gravity loads;
Suspendid floor with openings as service level.

I have a simple etabs model, with shearwalls, with columns pinned at top, with suspendid floor, having no beams.

The results showed quite big moments on top of the wall piers due to seismic loads. How are the big moments in the walls at top transferred to the suspendid slab? I modelled the suspendid slab as shell elements and meshed. Even I set the property modifiers all zeros for the shell elements, I still found the moments on top of wall piers. How to get rid of the moments?

Urgent help needed. Any guys can reply? Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a one-storey building supporting the big tanks for beer producers. Each tank is supported by three columns. Due to the big seismic force, shear walls are introduced.

The structural system:
Shear walls on each corner (L-shaped walls);
3 internal columns on each tank location to support tank gravity loads;
Suspendid floor with openings as service level.

I have a simple etabs model, with shearwalls, with columns pinned at top, with suspendid floor, having no beams.

The results showed quite big moments on top of the wall piers due to seismic loads. How are the big moments in the walls at top transferred to the suspendid slab? I modelled the suspendid slab as shell elements and meshed. Even I set the property modifiers all zeros for the shell elements, I still found the moments on top of wall piers. How to get rid of the moments?

Urgent help needed. Any guys can reply? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back