Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flat walls with ribs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Right, that's pretty obvious. The problem is how do you justify it in a pressure vessel's calculations? Does adding ribs to a flat head remove it from "unstayed flat heads", and exempt from UG-34?
Konrad

Review ASME Section VIII, Div 1, Mandatory Appendix 13 regarding vessels of noncircular cross section. examples of stayed walls are provided.

Thank you, metengr, this is right. But it does not apply to a flat head, which closes a circular shell. What would you do with it, when you need to reinforce the head with ribs?
Konrad

Yeah, but I can't use stays. It must be ribs. What do you think, am I free to go to U-2(g) without bothering with UG-34? What about, say a honeycomb plate?

Konrad

But it does not apply to a flat head, which closes a circular shell. What would you do with it, when you need to reinforce the head with ribs?

You need to perform your own stress analysis with calcs to assure the AI that you have adequate strength if your head design does not follow any of the rules in Part UG. Why can't you use formed heads, why do you need to use a flat plate???

The reasons for using ribbed flats are various. Sometimes I use rare and expensive materials, sometimes it's too thick to form, sometimes the design gets more compact with flat, sometimes it's just a pretext not to use UG-34's heavy wall thickness.
Konrad

Konrad;
That is fine because the ASME B&PV Code is either design by rule or design by analysis. Be aware you better have a detailed stress analysis for your design to fly (not literally, [wink]).

Well, I'm not setting stresses to 99% of the Yield Point of the piece of material actually used, like some suiciders do :)

Konrad

You can use ribs or can actually reinforce the flat plate with another flat plate add-on smaller piece.
I will look for the calcs and advise.
genb

GenB, As a matter of fact, I most often do bursting test of a ribbed structure. The disadvantage is that BPVC provides for parts, not connections between them. This leaves an open discussion what to do when during a bursting test some welded/brazed joint breaks. Looks like some requirements are missing...
Konrad

Konrad,
Sorry for this late rsponse, but you look at rib stiffenend flanges "FLANGES THAT WON'T FAIL" by Alexander Blake.
This may help you.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back