Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flatside Contours For Ships

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Hurtt

Civil/Environmental
Dec 1, 2020
US
I'm using OPTIMOOR for dock design. I have Q88's for all of my vessels, however, I cannot find any information on the hull shape. Specifically the flatside contours, both X-dist and depth from deck. Does anyone know where I can find this information or if there are standard values or equations I can use? My vessels are one product tanker, two Panamax tankers, and one Aframax tanker.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IRstuff I am specifically looking for flat side contour information, so forward and aft fender limits. Basically the lengths and heights of the portions of the side of the ship that are flat and can therefor be counted on to contact fenders.
Capture_hb0bgw.png

i'd've thought the critical thing was how curved boat sides can be ? could the boat's side contact the wharf between the fenders ? and whether the boat sides taper inwards above the waterline (tumblehome) or outwards above the waterline (flare).

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

You mention the types of ships, but do you have specific ships? If so, the best way to do it would be to reach out to the agent/owner and get specs on the specific ship. I'd imagine they'd be thrilled to know a facility was designing for their ship(s) to be able to tie up there. If the Q88 has a direct email to the ship, the master should be happy to hear that somebody wants to ensure the safety and security of his ship while docking and in port.

I've never used Optimoor....only ever done hand calcs. And I wrote a spreadsheet design tool once to determine mooring line reactions for specific arrangements. I've always been fortunate and had direct information on the ships or barges I was to design for.

Have you checked any of the PIANC documents? Trelleborg also has quite a few handy guides and catalogs. I've found their Fender Application Design Guide quite useful in the past.

Also, did you not find anything in the last 15 months? thread321-476695

rb1957
These are ships I'm dealing with not boats. They all have long flat sides for contacting fenders without hitting the dock.

IRstuff
The information I need is for mooring. Since the ship is assumed to be in the correct position already I'm not concerned about hitting the pier.
Yes the Q88 gives parallel body lengths but it doesn't give the depths, the picture I posted above gives the required inputs. I'm currently assuming 80% of the moulded depth.

phameng said:
did you not find anything in the last 15 months

Sounds right. The people I used to work with who did optimoor hoarded every tidbit they came across. Body line drawings don't find their way to structural engineers very often for some reason. Those optimoor people also relied on web searches and some pretty broad assumptions, justified by optimoor (or any static mooring analysis) being pretty rough.

Here's an aframax I have a midlength section of:

aframax102DWT_b4jovn.jpg

And a 37,000 DWT product tanker:

products37DWT_epdp7o.jpg

Boxy but good.

I don't think there is any standard relating to this - it seems to be a ship specific set of drawings. Your 80% of LOA looks OK to me, but there is some considerable differences between different vessels especially at the aft end in terms of section through the vessel and also longitudinal section.

You need both plan and section to find out.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back