Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flatten part for sheet metal cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slinger1010

Mechanical
May 2, 2011
CA
I purchased a company and got all of their drawings as well, Some are in Autocad and some are in Inventor. I have a few drawings that I need to get manufactured and I'm not sure how to flatten the drawings for the cutter.
I'm good with autocad but not inventor (Scheduled for classes at the end of this month for those about to tell me I need training), I can create a part (cone) revolved to 359.5 deg and flatten it, that works. But the parts I received the drawings from don't have the welding butt. I'm attaching the part, how can I flatten the 2 rings and the cone separately?

Thanks

Ron

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The easiest way in Inventor 10 will be to Derive Component into 3 separate parts - but those holes weren't modeled correctly (actually the entire part could have been made much more easily).

I'd just remodel it from scratch as rollup already stated is not the best modeling techniques) It should take no more time to model from scratch as it should to work with that.

Also I will NEVER give a flat pattern to an outside vendor unless I have been given accurate K factors,etc.. It is their job to make your part per "as formed" print. I never like opening up the possibility that a part is made wrong or they need to scrap parts,etc.. and then they can blame me because I supplied the flat pattern.

Right it would be easy to remodel, but that is only 1 part of many. Most of it I don't want to remodel, I would rather fix it and flatten it. I set the material properties to mild steel, does this not set the K factor?
The need Autocad drawings for the CNC otherwise the charge me a cad fee.

Sounds like finding another (a better) sheet metal vendor might save you a ton of time reworking models/drawings,etc...

Heck my sheet metal vendor would just take a step file of the file you posted only and take it from there (with no additional charge)

But like rollup already said if you want to fix that you would derive that file into 3 parts and fix those holes and use rip or whatever to create a flat pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back