Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flatten using GSD or CSD? I need help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckyB

Aerospace
May 22, 2012
US
The part came in as IGS data and is made of surfaces along with some other entities. I really wanted to use the Catia v5 functions to flatten this part, but I run into issues because of my inexperience.
I know the GSD--> Recognize could flatten this part if it was a solid with constant thinness and no history. I also know that I could use the GSD--> extract and thicken surfaces. But I get “Sharpedges” and “tangency “errors all over the place.

Details about this part: It’s already been flattened by a sheet metal man using a calculator. It’s made of .040 thk 625 HIGH NICKEL ALLOY

Can someone help me but telling the steps used to flatten this part? I would really appreciate it. I have many months before Catia training starts.

The file is attached

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Part is not attached.

Do you have SMD license? You can recreate the part in SMD workbench (or aerospace SMD if you have the license) and flatten the part.

I don't remember what kind of license do you need to have GSD unfold command...but is there and is doing what you want, if I remember correctly the toolbar is called Developed Shapes

Regards
Fernando

He would need Generative Shape Optimizer (GSO) for this.

Regards,
Derek

Win XP64
R20SP7/21SP5, 3DVIA Composer 2013, ST R20
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

Looking at the attached iges data, I don't think the Sheetmetal workbench will handle a formed part like this. I think you need the Aerospace Sheetmetal workbench for this part. Not sure if Composities will do it or not.

Jackk, I was able to use the Composites workbench to flatten this part. I am comparing it to the dims the Brake press man generated when he flattened this part a few months back.
We are having trouble making this part. I was hoping software could show us something we missed. Sadly we were told to use the customer supplied die. The customer said they have never gotten a good part from their tooling which gives us little hope of getting close to print.

I attached a screen shot if anyone cares

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d8707ecc-2a07-4461-9182-999e93e7d22b&file=screenshot.JPG
JB, thanks for the feedback. I've never used the Composites tools in CATIA so didn't know what could be done. Looks like you were able to get something. But (as you probably know), the material properties of sheetmetal are very different from composite plys and CATIA is probably using different algorithms, so I'd be a little cautious with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back