Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flattening wireframe curves to true arc length

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccessoryGuy

Automotive
Apr 17, 2003
US
I am an auotmotive product designer who has recently acquired a Faro arm for obtaining digital measurements. I am currently scanning the outlines of vehicle side windows to produce wind deflectors. The problem is my tool makers still need paper or mylar shapes to hand make the tools. When I try to produce 2D files for plotting, the window outlines get shortened as a projected 2D front view.

I need to flatten these 3D curved outlines into 2D outlines, with the true arc length and surface area of the window frames. Can this be done? I have looked into Rhino, but this is a solid modeler. Solid modelers won't allow this as the surface is "un-developable". I think I only need to deal with the wireframe and not surface characteristics. I am Solidworks user and this software won't touch this issue. I am open to suggestions.

Picture a curved piece of wire. If you flatten it on a table, it grows from end to end. This is what I need digitally. HELP! I have this file in IGS format and can send it to anyone willing to help. :)

Thanks,
Confused.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What a great problem! He says unhelpfully.

OK, you need to learn how to develop a surface, any old draughty can tell you how to do it on a drawing board. However for those of us in the digital age it isn't quite so easy. I don't know a direct solution, I'd have thought a high end CAD program woud do this in a snap. People have solved it - for instance there is a program that allows you to reduce a curved boat hull to flat planes on sheets of plywood. Do a web search for 'Carene'

Sailmakers face the same problem

(also links to Carene).

I got these links from the excellent

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back