Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flexible assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

swforge

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
Hi All,
I have a sub assembly which is made flexible within the top level. I have been offsetting one of the primary planes in the top level and using it as a mating plane to define the tooling height of the sub assembly. It has been working for a while now, but lately I get mate errors at the top level. It seems I can no longer mate the flexible sub to the offset primary plane. Some of the sub's details have been changed, but not related to the mating details within the top level. Any thoughts?
SW2009 sp3

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CBL
I have the sub set to flexible, mated to a top,front side to keep it in place in the tl. I can move parts of the sub that need to move by dragging. I cannot define a fixed height by mating to an offset tl plane. Curiously enough I have been doing it that way for months in this assembly.

Also,
If I suppress the top,front and side mates holding the sub in plce at the tl, it works. It appears the conflict is between these mates but why now

This is one of those issues that appears to be randomly reproducible. I can pretty much guarantee that nearly every time I have one or more flexible subassys in a TL assy mates suddenly freak out for no apparent reason. I haven't found a work around other than trying my best to ingore the little red x's in my FM.

Dan

Dan's Blog

I found the surface I was using is not parallel to the offset plane I use to coincident mate. The two are out of parallel by some very small fraction of a degree. I went thru all relavent parts to try to find the source to no avail. There are a couple imported parts which may contribute, but all was ok until recently. I ended up mating a vertex to the controlling plane to address the mysterious out of parallel issue. It will suffice for now. Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back