Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flexible components in V5r18 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidlunch

Industrial
Jun 2, 2005
US
Is anyone having issues with flexible components not acting the same in v5r18 as in earlier releases?
When we open an assembly in r18 that contains flexible components created in r16 our whole assembly wants to turn flexible instead of the component only. We find that we have to turn off, then update each one when there are changes being made to the flexible component. This is new behavior in r18. We can get it to work but is very time consuming, Any ideas???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

R18 GA works the same as R16 except for later SP levels of R18. This is caused if -- during Assembly re-use pattern the check box - place components in a flexible assembly was on. Now it will place up to the parent level of assembly in flexible mode. You need to replace these Re-Use patterns without checking off the box.

Regards,
Derek

Ok, un-checked the box and since the parent assembly is now flexible, the patterned parts are placed under the assembly at the bottom of the tree since they are not contained in a flexible component. The tree gets a little un-organized when additional parts are added. Let's say there are two parts that the quantities change. p1 and p2. I have 20 p1 and 10 p2 to start. They are aligned in my tree as such. Now, I have to add 3 more p1 and 2 more p2. My tree shows 20 p1 then 10 p2 then 3p1 then 2p2 (going in order down the tree). Any ideas how to maintain the components in a group and have them updateable as a group? This was possible before. Has this capability been taken out of the higher service packs? It is still functional but not as friendly.

I just tested R18 SP 6, it has the flexible assembly "enhancement". I have R19, but not loaded, regardless we have customers in R18 and we must follow versions. You cant cheat the assembly and stick the patterned parts in another Component.

Regards,
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back