Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flexible pipe connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

evdbroek

Chemical
Jun 16, 2005
US
I'm looking for the possibility of flexible connections to a gas header for a compressor test facility. As not all the compressors have the same layout, the positions of the suction and discharge lines differ. Instead of welding new pipes with flanges each time we are now looking for flexible connections. The header is 12" and the pressures are around 10-30 bara. There may not be any leakage as this will influence the compressor test. Anybody an idea?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

An option may be chiksan couplings made typically by Anson. These are hammer lugged type connections and can be bought in various loop type configurations. One problem may using them with gas as the fluid but I suspect you may get round this as it is for test purposes and not in zone rated environment.

Depends upon how felxible you want to be. Afterall there are hydraulic hoses rated for high pressures that work well on many types of construction machinery. I have also seen bellows expansion joints (metallic as well as as rubber like fabrics) on pump maniflolds. The Red Valve company makes a good flexible connector for water/wastewater use (called the Redflex).

Hyspan Precision Products has bellows expansion joints, ball joints, slip joints and wire braid flex hose. These seem to be your options. (See attached webpage.)

You can use the ball joints to make swivels. But I think yogibear1 has a good idea using the flex hose, if you can get it in your size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back