Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flexible pipe in abaqus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanaticos

Structural
Jun 21, 2012
GB
Hi,

Im trying to model a flexible pipe using beam/pipe elements in abaqus. With flexible I mean a pipe with high axial stiffness, but low bending stiffness. I know I can model a beam general section and define I11, I22, I12 separately and that way get the behavour I want. But I also need to apply internal pressure in the pipe and this can only be done for pipe or elbow elements in abaqus.

Any tips on how to model this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

As far as I know you could do that with a shell element modelling the pipe and apply a pressure in the interior of the pipe.
NLGEOM option activated is obligated in this case.

cheers

Thanks for your answers.

I am familiar with the orcaflex, but my analysis is complicated in later stages and orcaflex can not handle that as far as I understand. And I have no expirience with orvcaflex either.

Shell elements would be nice, but my model is 350m long, so its not really an option, has to be beam/elbow elements.

I have though found a way where I use mpc to tie the pipe element to a beam general section element, and by applying dummy stiffness to the pipe element, I can use the general beam section to get the axial and bending stiffness I wish. Its fairly complicated, but it works, and I have performed comparison with analytic solutions.

Fanaticos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back