Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flexible plastic with good optical clarity and extrudable

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlasticHunter

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2014
CA
Hi,

I am looking for a suitable flexible, plastic product for making a closed extrusion for us which would be used outdoors (outdoor, flexible, plastic, extrusion)
We would like flexibility since it allows us to form extrusion around curved architectural features

Ideally, we want:
1) Optical clarity > 88% for 1/16" THK wall
2) Flame rating UL 94 HB or greater
3) UV rating UL746C f1
4) Operating temperature -40 C to 85 C
5) Temperature rating (RTI electrical) UL 746 > 90 deg C

Note that we are flexible on some requirements so we don’t have to have all our requirements exactly met

Plastic would need to be clear since we are inserting our light product within the extrusion.

Please let us know if you know of any suitable plastic which could meet our needs

Currently, we use polycarbonate for our extrusion, but with a flexural modulus of over 2200 MpA, it is too stiff
So far, the best option we found was a copolyester material from Eastman (Tritan GX 100) which has a flexural modulus of 1480 MPa

Cheers, Greg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've looked at flexible PVC. The problem it has is that visibility is low, and haze is high, so it seems it would not meet our visibility requirement.
If you know of a flexible PVC which would meet our requirements, please let me know

PVC can be very clear. You just have to find the right supplier/processor. I can't really help with that. Are you the extruder? You may also want to consider other processing possibilities like vacuum forming from sheet.
I'm pretty sure that rope lights I've seen are extruded PVC.

PVC is the obvious choice. As mentioned, it can be very clear (think identical look to a PET botttle as some such bottles are in fact made of PVC). Also PVC is inherently flame retardant and inexpensive. See for example this link to extruded PVC clear and tinted film.

Chris DeArmitt PhD
President - Phantom Plastics LLC

Consulting, ideas and training on plastic materials

Thanks for the information

I will further investigate flexible Clear PVC.
One issue we may have with this material is that it may be too flexible which could cause issues when material is extruded,and we want to retain consistency of shape
Our extruded profile is to be similar to rectangular tubing with aspect ratio of 4:1 or greater with approx 1/16" wall thickness

Please let me know if you know of any more rigid plastics which meet our requirements.
So far, Tritan Copolyester (GX 100), and Butyrate such as Excelon CAB, are best options I have found

Unplastisized PVC is pretty stiff. Look-up clear PVC pipe. So, as I said before, you can get it as stiff or flexible as you like. However, I suspect you want an intelligent material, which knows when you want stiffness and when you don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back