Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flexible risers

Status
Not open for further replies.

0209781l

Mechanical
Jul 16, 2007
GB
I’m going into my final year of my masters in mechanical engineering.
I’ve been thinking of possible Industrial placements to do and I’m very interested in a topic surrounding flexible risers for sub-sea.
So far I’m considering fatigue due to corrosion or fatigue due to vortex induced vibration (internal and external).
I was just wondering if anyone could possibly suggest to me an idea that would allow me to narrow down my topic.
I would also be very grateful if you could suggest information such as journals where possible.

I’m very keen on this idea and any help would be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

0209781l

You've peaked my interest with your topic. Normally we will stalk on risers if the there is no riser guards or if they can be removed easily. If not we typically use a sub-sea flange for the riser installation.

How flexible are you talking about?

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA
Consultant - Upstream Energy

Thank you very much for your replies.

As it stands at the moment I’m very flexible in my progression. I’m still currently thinking of conceptual ideas on what would be the most beneficiary topic.
However I have a great deal of interest in vibration and corrosion and would have preference to one of these topics.

Best regards

Fraser

If you want to see what has previously been published a good place to check would be OTC publications
I know work has been done on all the aspects you are talking about. Exactly how much is published I do not know.

Try contacting Wellstream, they may be interested in sponsoring some research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back