Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flexural Fatigue (Dynamic Fatigue) - What material is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceanman

Marine/Ocean
Oct 29, 2003
US
I am developing a water pumping type of application which will involve the use of an elastomer that acts as a diaphragm. The configuration of the diaphragm is not yet set, but it could be in the form of a cylindrical layflat type of tube. In its intended use, it will be cycled rapidly and repeatedly. I would like some advice as to which material can likely survive the most cycles before failing due to flexural fatigue. I am considering polyurethane, silicone rubber and natural rubber. I did a quick internet and patent search and found that polyurethanes can go about one million cycles or so. I could not find other data. Are there general rules of thumb which can predict flex fatigue life, such as material hardness??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Compositepro,

Thanks for the Masterflex reference. The layflat tube that I want to use is intended to be a very thin plastic or rubber film, perhaps .010 or less in thickness. I will still check out the Masterflex material.

If it has to be that thin and flexible, and yet contain pressure, about your only choice is a fiber reinforced elastomer or flexible PVC. A braided reinforcement allows great strength with very high flexibility.

Thanks again. The membrane/diaphragm will only separate two incompressible fluids which are at difference pressures. I do not think that needs to be reinforced at all, it just needs to be able to flex millions of times without failing due to fatigue. The best that I can come up with so far is polyurethane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back